Friday, October 1, 2021

Great Littleness

I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Mt.18:3,4

As a memorial to Saint Therese of Lisieux the Church has chosen today's Gospel where Jesus holds up a little child as a model of greatness in Heaven.

One of the things I love about our Church is how it goes about recognising greatness. Here we have a cloistered nun in an obscure French convent, dead by the age of twenty-four, now exalted as a Doctor of the Church. Littleness is recognised as greatness.

Libraries of books have been written about Saint Therese, millions of lives affected by her example of "great littleness". She understood what Jesus was saying to his disciples. Child-likeness, not childishness, child-likeness is the key to a joyful and complete Christian life. It's time for me to peel off some of my vainglory. 

Jesus, you know I love to be exalted. Help me love to be little even more.
Saint Therese, please pray for me.



No comments: