Friday, October 22, 2021

Escape Route

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body doomed to death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Rms.7:25

Saint Paul writes of the struggle he has between his desire to do good and his flesh that does evil. The only way free is through Jesus.

"Instead of doing the good things I want to do, I carry out the sinful things I do not want." There is the struggle of all humanity, believer and nonbeliever alike. Paul, an exemplary follower of the Law quickly says the Law is not the answer, in fact it is the problem. Keeping the Law requires human effort, an impossible task to do perfectly.

My rescuer from this battle with the flesh is Jesus with his mercy and grace. No wonder peace is the first fruit of surrender to him. I surrender from my human struggles again today and turn to Jesus. Thanks be to God for this wonderful escape route.

Jesus, you are my rock, my surety, my peace today. I place my trust in you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

No comments: