Monday, October 4, 2021

Little in Speech

Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi

Alleluia, alleluia!
Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth;
you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the kingdom.
Alleluia!

Today's Gospel Acclamation is taken from the Gospel of Matthew, 11:25 where Jesus praises the superiority of littleness. No wonder this is chosen by the Church for the Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi, the master of this very virtue.

For the past week the Church has been circling around a core truth of Jesus' teaching, that less is more, that great strength is found in weakness, that child-likeness gains the Kingdom. 

How can I practice the virtue of littleness today? How about speaking less and listening more... just for starters.

Jesus, I always want to say the last word. Help me place a guard on my lips, speak less and listen more today, that I may become little and understand the mysteries of the kingdom.
Saint Francis of Assisi, please pray for me.


 

No comments: