Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Mercy is Worth It

And am I not to feel sorry for Nineveh, the great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left.
Jon.4:11

Jonah has fallen into rage because God has shown mercy to the Ninevites, arch enemies of his people. God defends his actions, saying mercy is always his prerogative. 

The outrageous grace of God continues to make us indignant. I would often prefer fire rain down from heaven on the heads on some people. I want them to get what I think they deserve. The law is so neat and tidy, black and white. Mercy on the other hand, by nature is undeserved and with uncertain outcomes. It gives the initiative back to the perpetrator who may not respond in the way I would want. 

Of course, my hyporacy is in the fact that I have been given mercy from God. Therefore am I not bound to extend mercy to others? Well... yes, but it's so hard. Yes, it's hard, but look at its fruit. Changed hearts in both the giver and receiver. This is always an inside-out job and mercy is the key. Mercy is worth it, even when it doesn't look as though much has happened. When I extend mercy the first fruits are in me, in the softening of my heart. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Jesus, you are mercy personified. Thank you Lord for the mercy you have given me. Help me be merciful to others I meet today that hearts may be changed.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

No comments: