Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Justice and Love

The Lord said to the Pharisees: ‘Alas for you Pharisees! You who pay your tithe of mint and rue and all sorts of garden herbs and overlook justice and the love of God!
Lk.11:42

Jesus is prophesying calamity to the Pharisees and Lawyers at a feast where he is a guest. Both earn the remark "Alas" for the wrath of God they are to receive.

Jesus is nothing if not persistent in his warnings about the Day of Judgement. He is very clear about the anguish that is coming for those who are to receive God's wrath. However, he is also consistent in pointing out what can be done to avoid such judgement. For the Pharisees, practice justice and love. For the lawyers, lift off burdens.

Yes, I am saved by grace but what is the work that I should practice to show that grace has been properly received? At the moment it is love more and judge less. That just about covers everything.

Jesus, there is a Pharisee and a Lawyer in me that takes ascendancy. Help me act in justice and love. Help me be the lifter of burdens.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: