Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Put Down the Airbrush

Fools! Did not he who made the outside make the inside too? Instead, give alms from what you have and then indeed everything will be clean for you.
Lk.11:41
Jesus is responding to a Pharisees' surprise at him not washing before his meal. Jesus focuses on the Pharisees' hypocrisy of excessive concern on outward appearance while ignoring the more deadly corruption of heart.

Outward appearance is paramount in the world today, stoked by the fire of social media where only the perfectly posed and edited photo is posted. I get sucked into this vortex as easily as anyone. Meanwhile in this airbrushed world misery, corruption and violence is blossoming. 

Jesus gives the Pharisee, and me, an antidote. Give alms. Almsgiving is defined as "an act inspired by compassion and a desire for justice for another". Suddenly the focus is off the appearance of me and on the needs of someone else. A far more Christian posture for me to assume today.

Jesus, you know how obsessed I get on the outside. Help me turn my focus on others I meet today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.





No comments: