Tuesday, October 26, 2021

The Joy of Hope

For we must be content to hope that we shall be saved – our salvation is not in sight, we should not have to be hoping for it if it were – but, as I say, we must hope to be saved since we are not saved yet – it is something we must wait for with patience.
Rms.8:24

Paul writes to the Church of Rome, placing present sufferings into the context of future glory.  Complete salvation is yet to arrive but we are strengthened in our waiting by hope. 

A Pentecostal asks, "Are you saved brother?" A Catholic replies, "Not yet but I have every hope". Here are the versus on which we base that reply. We are in that waiting period like in World War Two. The war was won on D Day, June 6th 1944. It didn't end for another year while mop up operations had to be completed. 

My salvation has been won on the Cross.  I just have to wait patiently in the firm hope of receiving it. Like in WWII, work still needs to be done as I wait but my hope is in the glory to come. This is my joy today.

Thank you Jesus for the surety of salvation you give me. I place my trust in you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me. 


No comments: