Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Sit and Listen

But the Lord answered: ‘Martha, Martha,’ he said ‘you worry and fret about so many things, and yet few are needed, indeed only one. It is Mary who has chosen the better part; it is not to be taken from her.’
Lk.10:41,42

Jesus replies to Martha's complaint about her sister Mary not helping with the serving. Mary's sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to him is held up as the greater work.

It was hard getting out of bed this morning. The moment of struggle to get up for prayer is called the "Heroic Minute" for good reason. But here I am sitting at the feet of Jesus and listening to his Word. Truly the better part.

Martha wasn't too far off the mark. She was just doing the right thing at the wrong time. There's a time to put down the dish cloth to sit and listen. Or... continue wiping the dishes but with the right attitude. My experience is, replace resentment with gratitude and the Holy Spirit will come in.

So, today I need to be mindful about my work. Either do it with gratitude or if I'm unable to do that, put down the dishcloth, sit and listen.

Lord Jesus, you know my thoughts are often a tangle of resentment and fear. Help me still myself in you today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.



No comments: