Thursday, December 23, 2021

Turn my Heart

Know that I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before my day comes, that great and terrible day. He shall turn the hearts of fathers towards their children and the hearts of children towards their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a curse.
Mal.4:5,6

The last book of the Old Testament finishes with the prophesy of the return of Elijah to herald the coming of the Messiah. The work of Elijah is to turn the hearts of fathers towards their children and children's hearts towards their fathers.

The worst division must be division between a father and his children. It is a curse over a household. Conversely, the greatest blessing over a household is unity of hearts between a father and his children. The father is key in bringing a curse or a blessing over his household. 

My role is to turn my heart towards my children, to love them. This now includes my grandchildren, all fourteen of them. I wondered what I would be doing in my retirement. Loving my children, my grandchildren holds back a curse from our land. What a mighty responsibility.

Jesus, help me to love, lest our land be struck with a curse.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us. 



No comments: