Sunday, December 19, 2021

Joy

Why should I be honoured with a visit from the mother of my Lord? For the moment your greeting reached my ears, the child in my womb leapt for joy. Yes, blessed is she who believed that the promise made her by the Lord would be fulfilled.
Lk.1:43-45

Elizabeth is visited by Mary pregnant with Jesus. On first greeting Mary, both Elizabeth and the baby in her womb are filled with the Holy Spirit and exhibit the Spirit's first-fruit... joy.

Here is the very first recorded encounter with Jesus by someone other than Mary and Joseph. What has happened? Elizabeth and her baby are both filled with the Holy Spirit and burst forth with spontaneous joy. 

Joy is the hallmark of an encounter with Jesus. I have witnessed it, I have have experienced it, I have it and carry Joy with me into my day.

Come Holy Spirit, renew my joy that today I may be an authentic witness to the coming of Jesus into the world.
Saint Philip Neri, patron saint of joy, please pray for me.


No comments: