Friday, December 17, 2021

Gold from Clay

A genealogy of Jesus Christ, son of David, son of Abraham:
Abraham was the father of Isaac,
Isaac the father of Jacob,
Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers...
Mt.1:1,2

Matthew's Gospel starts with the family line of Jesus to establish his credentials. Jesus' credentials are that he was a Jew whose family included the good, the bad and the ugly. 

Jesus came from a line that included all the types we still find in humanity; murders, prostitutes, noble and courageous. He comes from us, including all our messy bits. He is no Greek god that resulted from the union of other gods. Yes he is God but he is fully man, fully human. This makes him fully approachable. 

My piety is inconsistent at best. Yet no matter where I am on the scale of holiness Jesus says, "Come, I know, it's alright, I still love you". Oh what a man. Oh what a God. Truly I can say I am a friend of God.

Jesus, you came from miry clay just like me. Help me become pure gold, just like you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: