Thursday, December 16, 2021

Repent

All the people who heard him, and the tax collectors too, acknowledged God’s plan by accepting baptism from John; but by refusing baptism from him the Pharisees and the lawyers had thwarted what God had in mind for them.
Lk.7:29,30

Jesus expands on who John the Baptist is and what is his purpose... to call people to a baptism of repentance. The call from John could be accepted or refused. That choice had eternal consequences.

Jesus had been baptised by John at Jesus' insistence. This call to repentance, to turn from sin and turn to God, is placed before every generation, cradle Catholic, convert, believer or unchurched. The choice, as always, is ours. Repentance is still the most powerful way to prepare the way this Advent.

Lord Jesus, I have sinned in thought and action, in what I have done and in what I have failed to do. Have mercy on me. Let you love love triumph over judgement.
Saint Philip Neri, great confessor, pray for me.



No comments: