Thursday, December 30, 2021

Perspective

Nothing the world has to offer – the sensual body, the lustful eye, pride in possessions – could ever come from the Father but only from the world; and the world, with all it craves for, is coming to an end; but anyone who does the will of God remains forever.
1Jn.2:16,17

John warns on being seduced by the allurements of the world which are temporary. Eternal life is only found in doing the will of God. 

Here is the nub of my problem. I don't only exist in the spirit, I also exist in the flesh. And the part of the world I exist in is beautiful and I count myself blessed in living here. Yet, I am called not to love the world. 

I guess I am being instructed to give my higher affection to the Creator, not to creation. I am to keep things in perspective, to make any sacrifices to God and God alone. Yes, there are good things in the world and I can enjoy them but they are not to become idols. They to be subjected to God's will for them in my life. 

Jesus, I sit here on my deck looking out over the unfolding of a beautiful summer morning. I see your fingerprints in the world before me and I worship you with a thankful heart.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: