Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Joyful Messenger

Go up on a high mountain, joyful messenger to Zion.
Shout with a loud voice, joyful messenger to Jerusalem.
Shout without fear, say to the towns of Judah,
‘Here is your God.’
Is.40:9

Isaiah prophesies the joyful return of God to his people. The time of atonement is over. Grief is replaced by everlasting joy.

Oh boy! Is this an Advent message or what. Mary and Joseph are still just a poor, insignificant Palestinian couple struggling on a rocky, dangerous track towards Bethlehem and yet all creation is welling up in joy at what is about to take place through them... God becoming man who will bring peace, hope and joy as he leads us home. 

This is a message deserving to be shouted out aloud. And who is that joyful messenger? It's every believer, it's me. 

Jesus, you are the Good News I carry today. May I shout aloud to all I meet today the reason for my joy.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: