Saturday, December 11, 2021

A Soft Heart

'I tell you that Elijah has come already and they did not recognise him but treated him as they pleased; and the Son of Man will suffer similarly at their hands.’ The disciples understood then that he had been speaking of John the Baptist.
Mt.17:12,13

Peter, James and John have just witnessed Jesus' transfiguration. Coming down the mountain they ask Jesus about the return of Elijah who they had just seen with him. Jesus confirms that Elijah has already returned, in the form of John the Baptist.

John the Baptist's message has just been elevated by Jesus. So what did John say? Today's Gospel Acclamation echos part of it. "Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths." 

There is always work to do when getting ready for Jesus' return. What preparedness can I work on today? This sort of work takes place in my heart. I can be softer of heart I think, more gentle, less judging of others. 

Thank you Lord for constantly calling me further up and further in. Help me have a soft heart for others today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.



No comments: