Thursday, March 31, 2022

So, the Lord Relented

So the Lord relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.
Ex.32:14

While Moses was upon Mount Sinai receiving the Ten Commandments the people grew impatient and made their own god, a golden calf. God's anger blazed, threatening to annihilate but Moses interceded for the people and God relented.

Intercession can move, or stay, God's hand. This reminds me of Jesus' parable of the unfruitful fig tree, where the gardener intercedes and gains extra time to coax forth fruit. Moses has gained more time for the people to regain their senses. Judgement will still come, its arrival has simply been delayed.

This encourages me on two fronts. God is merciful. Good news for a sinner like me. I've been given time to get sorted. It also encourages me to intercede, even when the situation looks hopeless. I have a daily prayer list that grows with unanswered prayer ...yet. I am to keep on praying.

Lord Jesus, thank you for interceding on my behalf. Holy spirit, rise up within me. Help me come to my senses. 


No comments: