Saturday, March 5, 2022

The Doctor

‘Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?’ Jesus said to them in reply, ‘It is not those who are well who need the doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the virtuous, but sinners to repentance.’
Lk.5:31,32

Matthew, a despised tax collector, hosts a celebration in Jesus' honour having just been called by him to be a follower. Scribes and Pharisees criticised Jesus for associating with a house load of sinners. Jesus replies, "They are the ones I came for". 

Rather than being repelled, Jesus is drawn to the sick be it physically sick, emotionally sick or spiritually sick. Oh good and happy news! For that means Jesus is drawn to me. I do the things I don't want to do. I'm spiritually sick, a hospital case. 

Jesus calls me to repentance. That is the medicine that will make me well again. 

Jesus, you know my propensity to sin. I turn to you again Lord in repentance. Thank you for welcoming me back home beside you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: