Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Forgive and be Forgiven

Yes, if you forgive others their failings, your heavenly Father will forgive you yours; but if you do not forgive others, your Father will not forgive your failings either.
Mt.6:15

Jesus has just taught the disciples The Lord's Prayer. He underscores the verse "And forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven those who are in debt to us."

Forgiveness is at the very heart of Christian life. If I don't forgive there is a huge gap in my Christian faith and in fact I place myself under a curse. The scandal of this verse is that Jesus plainly states I am not faultless, I have failings that need forgiveness. This dents my pride somewhat. 

Everyone I encounter today will have failings. These are great opportunities to kick my little judge off his pulpit and replace him with a forgiving spirit. This brings mercy and grace into play. It makes me a thoroughly nicer person to be around, someone with whom people can feel safe.  More importantly, it moves me into a place where my own many faults can be forgiven. Oh happy day....

Jesus, help me hand judgement over to you. My role today is to be an agent of grace, mercy and forgiveness. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: