Thursday, March 3, 2022

He Died I Live

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘The Son of Man is destined to suffer grievously, to be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes and to be put to death, and to be raised up on the third day.’
Lk.9:22

For the first time, Jesus speaks plainly of his coming passion, death and resurrection. He then goes on to say anyone who calls himself a follower must die daily to his old self to let his new self live.

Here's the game plan that becomes the Good News. Jesus died for my sins, was buried and on the third day rose again. We acknowledge this in the Mystery of Faith at every Mass. We proclaim your Death, O Lord and profess your Resurrection until you come again. 

Lent is a time to practice dieing to self. Prayer, almsgiving and fasting all demand I put myself second. They have me picking up my cross and following Jesus. The carrot, if you like, is the last four words of the Mystery of Faith... until you come again. That's what puts it all in perspective. I follow the one who is alive and returning to take me home. Alleluia!

Thank you Jesus for dieing so I may live. I take up my cross again today and follow you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: