Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Replace Me with Him

This is not to happen among you. No; anyone who wants to be great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be first among you must be your slave, just as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
Mt.20:26-28

Jesus finds the disciples arguing over who should hold places of honour next to him. He redefines greatness for them, placing the slave at the top of the heap.

Jesus has just predicted his approaching death, even his resurrection, for the third time and the disciples still don't get it. It must have been exasperating for him. Mind you, I know about his passion, death and resurrection yet I still act as if I don't get it. I sympathise with the disciples.

This question of greatness gets to the core of my malady, my self centeredness.  The magnificent-me continues to be the cornerstone against which I measure much of what I do. How is this going to benefit me, elevate me, satisfy me?

Time to recommit to replacing "me" with "Him". The starting point has something to do with the attitude of a servant.

Jesus, help me be a servant today so I may be great in your Kingdom.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: