Wednesday, March 30, 2022

My Friend the Son of God

Jesus said to the Jews, ‘My Father goes on working, and so do I.’ But that only made them even more intent on killing him, because, not content with breaking the sabbath, he spoke of God as his own Father, and so made himself God’s equal.
Jn.5:17,18

The Jewish leaders finally settle on the point on which to condemn Jesus to death. His claim to be equal with God.

This claim of Jesus to be God's son is still the stumbling block for people today. We either dismiss him as mad, despise him as bad or accept he is speaking the truth. His works don't have the mark of a madman and certainly his closest friends who knew him well wouldn't have submitted to the tortuous deaths they did if they knew him to be insane. Nothing in his life says he was an evil man. Even his enemies admitted Jesus went about doing good. That leaves us with accepting what he said of himself as true. 

I don't bother with the possibility of Jesus simply being a wise man going about doing good. He doesn't give us that option. Truly Jesus is who he says he is... the son of God. This places everything in my day in a new perspective... Jesus, the Son of God, is in me, with me and for me. Joy is mine.

Jesus, you are my friend, you are my God. Again I place my trust in you. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: