Friday, March 4, 2022

Less of Me More of You

‘Surely the bridegroom’s attendants would never think of mourning as long as the bridegroom is still with them? But the time will come for the bridegroom to be taken away from them, and then they will fast.’
Mt.9:15

John's disciples have sided with the Pharisees on the question of fasting. They ask Jesus why his disciples don't fast. Jesus' typical reply says, in season. There's a time to fast and a time not to.

As the joke goes... "Lent is a time for prayer, almsgiving and fasting. Now, the prayer I don't mind...."  Almsgiving and fasting and the hard bits of Lent. Why? Because they oppose the core of my malady, selfishness. As Queen's famous song says, I want it all, and I want it now. Along with Frank Sinatra's "My Way", "I Want it All" could be the anthem of the World and I sing it loud.

So, back to fasting. Jesus says fasting is right at the right time. Lent is surely the right time. 

Jesus, you know my struggles with self. Help me have less of me and more of you this Lent.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: