Thursday, March 24, 2022

Heart Surgery

Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory!
With all your heart turn to me,
for I am tender and compassionate.
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory!

Today's gospel acclamation is taken from Joel 2:12-13. It calls for a complete and utter turn around, back to the compassionate embrace of God.

Today's readings all refer to the heart, the core foundational character of a person. Jeremiah accuses the people of having evil hearts. The Psalm appeals to us not to harden our hearts. The gospel doesn't mention the heart specifically but tells of people with stubborn hearts who are testing Jesus.

God is obviously interested in this central, foundational core of my being, my heart. He wants all of me, down to my very core. Then he can do the necessary heart surgery, make me a new and perfect man. 

Lord, start this heart surgery today. I want to be all for you.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.



No comments: