Monday, March 25, 2019

The Power of Yes

‘I am the handmaid of the Lord,’ said Mary ‘let what you have said be done to me.’    Lk.1:38

The Annunciation of the Lord - Solemnity

 The Angel Gabriel has just announced God's plan of salvation of the world to Mary who is to play a crucial part. Mary trusts God and says yes.

Out of all of history this is the big moment, the crucial moment. Will the young Jewish girl say yes? All of heaven must have held its breath. Mary's fiat, her yes, would have released shouts of joy throughout heaven and groans of despair in hell. Now Jesus' birth was assured, the cross was to be made ready, the tombstone hewed so it could be rolled away, wheat grown to form bread, the grapes planted to make wine. All is measured from this point forward.

Mary's yes echoes down through the ages and has its affect on me today. Her baby has become my Lord, my Saviour, my source of hope and joy. My life is centered around the result of Mary's yes. Today is a good day to thank her for this.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. 
Blessed are thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. 
Amen.


No comments: