Saturday, March 9, 2019

It's Time to Party

Jesus noticed a tax collector, Levi by name, sitting by the customs house, and said to him, ‘Follow me.’ And leaving everything he got up and followed him. In his honour Levi held a great reception in his house...     Lk.5:27-29

Jesus calls Matthew the tax collector and Matthew immediately gets up and follows. Matthew's joy of conversion is celebrated by a massive party held in his house.

That would have been some party! All of Matthew's mates were there and I'd imagine, being from the wrong side of the tracks, they'd be people who knew how to party. Jesus was in the thick of it and enjoying it, so much so that he defended the partying crowd from the criticism of the Pharisees. 

I love this story. It's very human and earthy. It highlights who Jesus came for; earthy, real, authentic, imperfect people. People like me. It's time to party!

Thank you Jesus for calling me out of the mud and mire. You are the source of my hope and joy.
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: