Monday, March 4, 2019

The Gaze of Love

Jesus looked steadily at him and loved him, and he said, ‘There is one thing you lack...'    Mk.10:21

The rich young man has just verified all the virtues Jesus listed as necessary to enter God's kingdom. Jesus loves him and points out the one area he has yet to surrender. His wealth.

This young man was more pious than me, yet Jesus found something still lacking. I like to think that was not the end of the young man's story, that he went away and wrestled with that area in his life and came back victorious.  What gives me that spin on the story? The words "Jesus looked steadily at him and loved him".

Anyone who comes to know the love Jesus has for them personally has the power to be transformed. That has certainly been my experience.

Lent is coming. There are more than one "things I lack". Now is the time for me to refocus on the love Jesus has for me so I can be transformed.

Lord Jesus, I receive your love. I confess my lack. Help me divest of everything that keeps me from you. I love you Lord.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: