Saturday, March 23, 2019

The Unforgiving Brother

The tax collectors and the sinners were all seeking the company of Jesus to hear what he had to say, and the Pharisees and the scribes complained. ‘This man’ they said ‘welcomes sinners and eats with them.’ So he spoke this parable to them: ‘A man had two sons...'
People from "the wrong side of the tracks" are crowding towards Jesus as they sense he has good news for them. The Pharisees complain. To show their error Jesus tells his famous parable of the prodigal son.

I've heard it said this parable should more accurately be called the parable of the unforgiving brother. This was the main point of Jesus' story. He was addressing the Pharisees and their lack of compassion towards the broken people of their times.

In the parable the older brother sees himself as a slave to his father. He refuses to name his brother as such, calling him "your son". He is complaining and aggrieved at his father's benevolent generosity, just as the Pharisees are complaining and aggrieved at Jesus' generosity and love towards the tax collectors and sinners.

This is both good news for me and a warning for me. The good news is that Jesus' love for me is as high as the heavens are above earth. The warning is for the little Pharisee within me that complains and is aggrieved when seeing God's love and compassion for those outside the fold.

Jesus, forgive for the times I have been judgemental of those who don't live the way I do, who are different. Help me see all people as you do, souls in need of love and acceptance, souls who need to hear your good news. 
Little Flower, please pray for me.


No comments: