Friday, March 8, 2019

Cheerful Fasting

But the time will come for the bridegroom to be taken away from them, and then they will fast.   Mt.9:15

John's disciples are perplexed about why Jesus' disciples do not fast. Jesus replies, "Oh, they'll fast alright but not until it's due season".

Lent is the season of prayer, fasting and almsgiving. As the jokes says... Well now, the prayer I don't mind.... Fasting and almsgiving are contrary to my human nature. They both involve denial of self. This is exactly why they are both so good for me.

Already the fasting is a struggle this Lent and the almsgiving hasn't even started. Time to refocus.

Lord Jesus, help me approach this Lent with the joy of abandonment. Let me be a joyful giver and a cheerful faster.
Little Flower, please pray for me.



No comments: