Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Retirement Plan

If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let him renounce himself and take up his cross every day and follow me. For anyone who wants to save his life will lose it; but anyone who loses his life for my sake, that man will save it.   Lk.9:23,24

Jesus foretells his passion, death and resurrection and then invites us to follow him. The invitation is unappealing until the last verse. "But anyone who loses his life for my sake, that man will save it".

Jesus only makes sense from an eschatological view point, a view of the final destiny of the soul and of humankind. Up until end times, it's all about carrying a cross, about being last not first, about denial and humility. All this is contrary to the world's call.

But oh the retirement plan! Eternity in heaven. Keeping this in mind brings a great joy to the cross  I carry, to the denial, to the placing of others before me. What a great way to enter Lent....

Lord Jesus, I pick up my cross and follow you. Thank you for the joy you give in return.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: