Monday, March 11, 2019

Listen More Speak Less

May the spoken words of my mouth,  the thoughts of my heart,win favour in your sight, O Lord,  my rescuer, my rock!     Ps.18:15
The psalmist has just written fourteen verses extolling God's Word is Spirit and light. He then finishes by focussing on his own words, pleading that they may be pleasing to God.

Powerful things words. They can build up or tear down, encourage or discourage, convey love or convey hate. I have a problem with my words. They often get spoken more with me in mind than the listener. I speak to be proven right rather than speak to build others up.

Speech is one of those things where less is more. As it is written in Proverbs, "Better to be silent and appear wise than speak and be proven a fool". Today would be a good day for me to fast on speech.

Lord, you know my propensity towards too much speaking and not enough listening. Help me focus more on others and less on me.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: