Tuesday, June 29, 2021

The Faith

My life is already being poured away as a libation, and the time has come for me to be gone. I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish; I have kept the faith;
2Tim.4:6

Saint Paul is writing his last letter and summarises his work for God's Kingdom. It has been a fight and a race through which he has kept the faith.

Before becoming Catholic the term "the faith" I heard Catholics using mystified me. In fact, I judged it an obstacle to a personal relationship with Jesus. But here Saint Paul coins the expression as a possession of great value, something to fight to keep and race to attain. 

Faith was held in high regard by Jesus. He required it before performing miracles. He lauded the Roman Centurion who exhibited it. Faith is that essential ingredient I needed to finally understand the beautiful mystery of Christianity. Faith is a gift, a gift for me. I race to attain it and fight to keep it.

Thank you Jesus for gifting me with faith, my pearl of great price.
Saints Peter and Paul, please pray for us.

No comments: