Saturday, June 5, 2021

Noble and Generous Heart

‘I tell you solemnly, this poor widow has put more in than all who have contributed to the treasury; for they have all put in money they had over, but she from the little she had has put in everything she possessed, all she had to live on.’
Mk.12:43,44

After teaching on the hypocrisy and greed of the scribes Jesus points out the generosity of a poor widow giving all that she has in the temple treasury. 

Limited resources doesn't limit generosity. Selfishness does. Both the Old and New Testaments repeatedly call generosity a virtue that is pleasing to God. Jesus, in the parable of the sower, says the rich soil is people with "noble and generous hearts". 

I don't find being generous easy. I have to make myself be generous which in a way defeats the purpose. It can become begrudging. I need to remember the generosity of God to me. I have been given so much. 

Jesus, you gave your all for me. Help me be a person with a noble and generous heart.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: