Monday, June 7, 2021

Be Happy

Seeing the crowds, Jesus went up the hill. There he sat down and was joined by his disciples. Then he began to speak. This is what he taught them: ‘How happy are the poor in spirit; theirs is the kingdom of heaven... 
Mt.5:1,2

Jesus sees a large crowd and sits down, a position of teaching authority, and preaches. He starts his great Sermon on the Mount with happiness being found in poverty, hunger, sadness and persecution.

A common human yearning is for happiness while a common human condition is sadness. We have fleeting moments of happiness but our usual state is stress, tiredness, suffering and loss. At our very core we know that we are slowly dieing. 

Jesus is saying yes but... The great but is that happiness and joy can be found on this mortal coil. The doorway to this pervasive happiness that overcomes pervasive sadness is modeled by Jesus and is Jesus. He is the door. 

Loving God and loving others lifts me up, turns my attention away from my woes and makes me seek fostering joy in others. Strangely, seeking happiness for others makes me happy.

Jesus, you are the source of my joy no matter what. Help me look up today and be an encourager of happiness in others.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: