Thursday, July 1, 2021

Miraculously Forgiven

Now, which of these is easier to say, “Your sins are forgiven,” or to say, “Get up and walk”? But to prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,’ – he said to the paralytic – ‘get up, and pick up your bed and go off home.’ And the man got up and went home.
Mt.9:5-7

Jesus has declared a paralytic has been forgiven his sins. Witnessing Scribes criticise Jesus, so to demonstrate his authority Jesus heals the man of his paralysis. 

If in this story and given a choice, would I choose forgiveness of sins or physical healing? My obvious infirmity would be the expected focus of Jesus' attention. It was because the man was paralysed that his friends brought him to Jesus. Yet, Jesus sees the deeper, more serious malady and heals there first. The man is miraculously forgiven. 

The paralytic is me. I have "thorns in the flesh" that I have placed before Jesus, yet they remain. But my many sins have been forgiven. I am indeed a blessed man who goes leaping and dancing and praising God. I have been  miraculously forgiven.

Thank you Jesus for healing me of my evil heart. I praise your wonderful name.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: