Tuesday, June 1, 2021

In But Not Of

‘Whose head is this? Whose name?’ ‘Caesar’s’ they told him. Jesus said to them, ‘Give back to Caesar what belongs to Caesar – and to God what belongs to God.’
Mk.12:17

The Pharisees attempt to entrap Jesus by asking should they pay tax to the hated Romans. Jesus confounds them by replying they should pay Caesar what is Caesar's and God what is God's.

Jesus' apparent simple answer is actually profound. Into a worldly situation he brings God. The Pharisees had the world and God compartmentalised. Jesus has them as one. Every quandary I encounter has a God perspective and that God perspective makes sense of the worldly quandary. 

Today I step out into the world. Does God have something to say about every situation I will encounter? Absolutely.

Jesus, you said we are in the world but not of the world. Help me navigate my world today with a Godly perspective.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.

 

No comments: