Saturday, June 19, 2021

Strong when Weak

About this thing, I have pleaded with the Lord three times for it to leave me, but he has said, ‘My grace is enough for you: my power is at its best in weakness.’
2Cor.12:8,9

Paul writes of his "thorn in the flesh" that keeps him from becoming conceited. He concludes that it is when he is weak that he is strong.

Strength through weakness is a uniquely Christian maxim. The world espouses strength through strength and that weakness is to be despised. It is a great antidote to pride for a start. But there's more. I find a peace in accepting my weaknesses. Deal with them yes but don't dwell on them.

Most importantly, my weaknesses cause me to lean on God and his grace rather than on my perceived strengths. I am just a stumbling follower after all... and that's ok.

Jesus, your grace is sufficient for me. Help me through this day by your strength.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: