Saturday, June 26, 2021

The Fuel of Faith

‘I tell you solemnly, nowhere in Israel have I found faith like this. And I tell you that many will come from east and west to take their places with Abraham and Isaac and Jacob at the feast in the kingdom of heaven; but the subjects of the kingdom will be turned out into the dark'.
Mt.8:10-12

A Roman Centurion has pleaded with Jesus to heal his servant and insisted Jesus need not come in person but just say the word for healing to happen. Jesus holds up the Centurion's faith as the greatest he has encountered.

This story is astonishing in a number of ways... that a Centurion should be so concerned about his servant, that the centurion should even think of Jesus, a Jew, as someone who could help,  the centurion's stellar faith. It's little wonder we repeat the Centurion's words at every Mass. According to Jesus, they are the greatest words of faith ever spoken. 

 This great faith gives fuel for Jesus to work a miracle. Faith enables miracles. Lack of faith inhibits them. I step into today as a man of faith. Let the miracles come...

Jesus, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. Only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Saint Philip Neri please pray for us.


No comments: