Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Pull out the Thorns

Then there are others who receive the seed in thorns. These have heard the word, but the worries of this world, the lure of riches and all the other passions come in to choke the word, and so it produces nothing.Mk.4:18,19

Jesus is explaining the parable of the Sower to his disciples. The parable shows what can stop the Word of God from being fruitful in people's lives.

Of all the obstacles that stop the Word of God bearing fruit in my life, worries of the world and the lure of riches would be the biggies.

Even approaching morning prayer I have to stop myself from checking my phone for emails and social media contacts. If I fail to do this my mind becomes preoccupied, the thorns start to grow, the Word is choked.

I need to be disciplined with what I fill my mind, about what grows in my garden. I want the soil free of weeds and fertile so I can hear the word, accept it and yield a harvest.

Lord Jesus, you know how my mind wanders, gets distracted. Give me discipline to keep clear of distractions so I can hear you and bear your fruit.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: