Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Giving to Gain

This is the love I mean: not our love for God, but God’s love for us when he sent his Son to be the sacrifice that takes our sins away.1 Jn.4:10
Saint John writes to the early Church exhorting it to love. This love is exemplified by God himself. It's distinguishing character is that it's sacrificial.

I love porridge for breakfast. I love watching a good movie and I love reading a good book. This type of love is not love for another, is not sacrificial. When I love my wife, love my children and grandchildren it always seems to involve sacrifice, giving something up for me and giving something over to them.

The beauty and genius of sacrificial love is that I come away feeling as though I've gained something, that I'm somehow fuller, not lesser. In giving I gain. Today I can be a sacrificial lover to those I meet.

Lord Jesus, you are the greatest of all lovers. You sacrificed everything, naked on the cross, down to your last drop of blood. Lord, my tendency is to grab not give. Help me be a generous lover today.
Saint John, please pray for me.



No comments: