Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Authority

‘Here is a teaching that is new’ they said ‘and with authority behind it: he gives orders even to unclean spirits and they obey him.’Mk.1:27

Jesus is starting his ministry by visiting synagogues and teaching, backing his authority with acts of deliverance.

The spiritual act of deliverance gives a physical result of healing. In a way this is metaphorical, the physical representing the spiritual. Father John Ray says his healing ministry is only to give authority to his preaching ministry. This is taken from Jesus' own example.

So, what does this mean for me? Firstly, my Christian faith is not just a nice, fluffy philosophy. It's based on authority. Also, this passage highlights there are spirits, some of them unclean and they can be rebuked in Jesus' name. This good news is Good News for me to take into my day...

Thank you Jesus for giving us authority over unclean spirits.  Give me wisdom when to exercise this authority.
Little Flower, please pray for me.

No comments: