Saturday, September 24, 2022

The Long View

At a time when everyone was full of admiration for all he did, Jesus said to his disciples, ‘For your part, you must have these words constantly in your mind: “The Son of Man is going to be handed over into the power of men.”
Lk.9:43,44

Jesus predicts his death for the second time, looking beyond the adulation of the crowds, keeping in focus the reason he came... to suffer and die for my sins.

Jesus kept the long view. He knew time on earth is temporary for all mankind and as a man he was not exempt. It's sobering to remember that one day I will draw my last breath. Today, now, takes on added value. How precious is the breath I draw at this moment. 

Jesus also knew death is not the end of the story. Death will not be the end of my story. I step into today loving the life I have been given but also with one eye firmly fixed on where my hope lies when I die. 

Thank you Jesus that as good as today is, it is not all that there is. My joy is in you and where you are calling me. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: