Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Fruit

Alleluia, alleluia!
I have chosen you from the world, says the Lord,
to go and bear fruit that will last.
Alleluia!

Jn.15:16

Today's Gospel Acclamation is Jesus proclaiming that I did not choose him. No, he has chosen me and chosen me for a purpose... to go and bear lasting fruit for him.

The Christian life isn't one of aimlessness, it's a life of purpose. The way to fulfill this purpose of lasting fruit is many and varied. It can be the life of a cloistered nun, the life of a father raising his children, the life of a third world missionary. The question is, what is my fruit bearing life? 

My life has been one of seasons, from pouring myself into my five children, working on my marriage, and involvement in Church and parish ministries. I guess the real question is, am I bearing fruit that will last? 

Lord, sometimes my efforts seem fruitless. Help me be zealous for you even when the soil appears to baren.
Saint Paul, please pray for me.


No comments: