Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Happiness Awaits the Underdog

Fixing his eyes on his disciples Jesus said:
‘How happy are you who are poor: yours is the kingdom of God.
Happy you who are hungry now: you shall be satisfied.
Happy you who weep now: you shall laugh.
Happy are you when people hate you...
Lk.6:20-22

Jesus begins his Sermon on the Mount by championing the poor, the hungry, the mourning and the persecuted. He declares happiness awaits the underdog. 

This was good news two thousand years ago and is good news now. Predicted losers become winners for the ones on whom Jesus fixes his eyes, his disciples. 

Following Jesus brings happiness, no matter what is happening. I follow him into my day today...

Thank you Jesus for being my champion. I follow you into my day with joy in my heart.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: