Saturday, September 17, 2022

Noble and Generous

As for the part in the rich soil, this is people with a noble and generous heart who have heard the word and take it to themselves and yield a harvest through their perseverance.
Lk.8:15

Jesus is explaining the parable of the sower to his disciples. As opposed to the rocky ground, the thorn covered ground and the exposed path ground, the rich soil giving a bountiful harvest is people with noble and generous hearts. 

Jesus is talking of people with high moral principles and a readiness to give more. This would not describe me each time I sin, in thoughts or deeds. Nobleness and generosity are virtues worth the effort of training and practicing. Jesus says it will take perseverance, that is persistence despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.  

Jesus, I have high ideals but lack persistence. Help me practice nobility and generosity until they define the quality of my heart.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

 

No comments: