Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Be Real

Job broke the silence and cursed the day of his birth. This is what he said: "May the day perish when I was born, and the night that told of a boy conceived. Why did I not die new-born, not perish as I left the womb?"
Job3:1-3,11

After a week of silent, afflicted misery in front of his three friends, a great lament breaks out from Job as he curses the day he was born.

Job is starting to get real with God, not cursing God but laying before him how he is feeling. Nothing is held back. Knowing the end of this story where Job is given back double everything he lost, this is the starting point of his recovery. It's a long path but he is starting to move out of his despair. He is lancing the boil.

God wants me to be real with him, wants me to stand naked before him. When this happens God can start to rebuild. The best material for God to work with is a pile of broken bricks, not a solid wall. 

Thank you Jesus that you invite me to be real with you, that I don't need to pretend. That's what friends do.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.

No comments: