Monday, September 26, 2022

Less of Me

Anyone who welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For the least among you all, that is the one who is great.
Lk.9:48

To silence the arguments among the disciples over who among them is the greatest, Jesus places a child beside himself and says, "Welcome this child and you are welcoming me. Here is your greatness."

Humility is a sign of greatness in Jesus eyes. Having preference for the weak, the poor, the small is a sign of distinction. All this, of course, goes against my natural inclination to put me first, to exalt myself. There needs to be less of me in my thoughts. 

Jesus, you modeled true greatness through servanthood. Help me be a servant too. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


No comments: