Wednesday, September 28, 2022

The Cost of Following

Another to whom he said, ‘Follow me’, replied, ‘Let me go and bury my father first.’ But he answered, ‘Leave the dead to bury their dead; your duty is to go and spread the news of the kingdom of God.’
Lk.9:59,60

Luke records Jesus being straight up about the cost of following him. Priorities change for the follower of Christ.

Burying the dead is a great act of charity, read Tobit to be convinced. The Church is famous for always doing this. The greatest desecration to a person is to leave their dead body to the birds and wild animals. Yet here is Jesus apparently casting it aside. 

The point Jesus is making is there is a cost to following him. New duties are given. He is asking me if I'm prepared to pay that cost and perform those duties. When I say yes to Jesus what becomes my duty? Spreading the Good News. 

The good news about spreading the Good News is it becomes a great joy. When I'm doing that then I'm truly a follower. 

Jesus, the demands of the world can distract me from my duty. Help me spread the Good News and always keep an eye firmly on following you. 
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.


 

No comments: