Thursday, September 8, 2022

Fatherhood

Her husband Joseph; being a man of honour and wanting to spare her publicity, decided to divorce her informally. He had made up his mind to do this when the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream...
Mt.1:19,20

The story of Jesus' birth is told as the Church celebrates the birthday of Mary his Mother. A crucial role in God's plan of salvation is that of Joseph. Not one word of Joseph's is recorded yet we know much about him from the woman he married and the son he raised.

A friend is burying his father tomorrow. A significant event in a man's life is the death of his father, no matter what their relationship was like. For my friend, his relationship with his dad was a good one. Having known both men, I see much of the father in the son. Similarly, we can see much of Joseph in the boy he raised, Jesus. 

My role as a father to my five children remains important until the day I die. 

Jesus, inspire in me authentic fatherhood to my children. Each is different but they all need one thing, my unconditional love.
Saint Thomas Moore, please pray for me.


No comments: