Thursday, June 30, 2022

Soul before Body

But to prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins,’ – he said to the paralytic – ‘get up, and pick up your bed and go off home.’ And the man got up and went home.
Mt.9:6,7

Jesus pronounces the forgiveness of the sins of a paralytic. Scribes accuse Jesus of blasphemy so, to demonstrate his authority to forgive sins, Jesus miraculously heals the paralytic.

Jesus obviously places the health of the soul higher than the health of the body. The paralytic's physical healing only happens as an aside. Jesus was more concerned about removing the man's sins. 

While it's always good to pray for physical healing, it pays to remember the physical is temporal while the soul is eternal. The health of my soul is way more important to Jesus than the health of my body which is inevitably going to end up back in the dust.

Jesus, the world clamours to tell me my physical well being is all I should be concerned about. Help me see others as you do and  place the health of their souls as supreme in importance.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for us.


No comments: