Friday, June 10, 2022

Marching Orders

And after the fire there came the sound of a gentle breeze. And when Elijah heard this, he covered his face with his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. 
1Kings.19:12,13

Elijah is hiding in a cave, fearing for his life when he is called out to stand before the Lord. Earthquake, wind and fire blast him before God appears in a gentle breeze.

The elements try to fool Elijah that their might and power represent God. God doesn't need them to show himself. The gentle breeze of the Holy Spirit is enough. Elijah is given his marching orders and goes back the way he came to fulfill his destiny. 

Despite his impetuosity, Elijah could recognise the real presence of God.  I've heard a priest tell how he heard the call of God to priesthood in the mere skittering of leaves blown across a city pathway, insignificant to everyone but him. 

I look for God in the spectacular while I miss him in the mundane. The gentle whisper, the quiet person, the small, the weak, the insignificant are all ways God can speak to me, give me my marching orders, today...

Jesus, help me hear you amongst all the noise. Give me my marching orders today.
Saint Philip Neri, please pray for me.



No comments: